Frequently asked questions
Q: What is the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
A: The Mayo Clinic Care Network is a unique collaboration between Mayo Clinic and independent healthcare organizations. The network connects Unity Health providers with Mayo Clinic specialists and Mayo Clinic clinical resources. Unity Health healthcare providers use electronic services to access the latest Mayo Clinic knowledge and expertise.
Q: Why did Mayo Clinic create the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
A: Collaborating with other medical providers to provide the best possible care for patients has been part of Mayo Clinic's culture for 150 years. The Mayo Clinic Care Network is intended to help Mayo Clinic and community care organizations work closer together — in new ways — to enhance the lives of patients.
Q: Why did Mayo Clinic choose Unity Health for participation in the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
A: Unity Health was selected to join the Mayo Clinic Care Network because Unity Health shares a common philosophy, commitment and mission to improve the delivery of healthcare through high-quality, data-driven, evidence-based medical care and treatment. In addition, Unity Health passed a comprehensive evaluation process by Mayo that included an in-depth review of our organization, our clinical and business practices and our quality, safety and service efforts.
Q: Why is Unity Health collaborating with Mayo Clinic?
A: Unity Health has made tremendous progress in our approach to care based on the latest medical knowledge and best practices from leaders in healthcare. This collaboration allows us to access Mayo Clinic knowledge and expertise and to learn from the latest Mayo-vetted practice and research recommendations.
Q: What does this formal collaboration mean for patients?
A: You'll gain peace of mind. When physicians can collaborate easily about questions of complex care, more patients will avoid unnecessary travel and stay close to home with trusted physicians. Your doctor has access to Mayo Clinic expertise at no additional cost to you.
Unity Health physicians can access the latest Mayo-vetted information:
- AskMayoExpert — An online tool initially developed by Mayo for its physicians to provide a concise resource at the point of care. This resource offers disease management, care guidelines, treatment recommendations, and reference materials for a wide variety of medical conditions.
- eConsults — An electronic consultation service that connects physicians directly with Mayo Clinic specialists when they feel additional input will benefit the patient.
- eTumor Boards — Live video conferences of Mayo Clinic eTumor Boards promote educational and informal discussion on the management of complex cancer cases and involve a Mayo Clinic multidisciplinary panel and other providers within the network.
- Mayo Clinic Patient Education — Mayo Clinic's patient education library includes 2,500 pieces of material with a percentage also available in Spanish.
Q: Does this mean that Unity Health could be purchased by Mayo Clinic?
A: This agreement is not an acquisition or merger. Mayo Clinic Care Network members like Unity Health remain independent, community-owned healthcare providers.
Q: What other health systems are members of the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
A: The network consists of high-quality healthcare organizations across the United States and internationally. For more information, please visit http://www.mayoclinic.org/about-mayo-clinic/care-network.
Q: Why is Unity Health making all of these announcements lately?
A: Unity Health recognizes that if we are to achieve our vision of being a recognized leader in quality and the patient experience, we have a responsibility to take the lead in fundamentally transforming healthcare in our area. In support of this, Unity Health is committed to seeking new ways to:
- Collaborate with quality care providers to create greater alignment around improved quality and patient experience
- Jointly work with providers to develop clinical guidelines to ensure the highest quality of care for patients who need to be transferred to different levels of care
- Ensure that the highest quality care is delivered in the most cost-advantageous clinical setting, as close to the patient's home as possible
Q: Will this agreement mean patients will automatically be referred to Mayo Clinic?
A: No, there is no obligation for referrals to Mayo Clinic. The primary goal of Unity Health and Mayo Clinic through the Mayo Clinic Care Network is to help patients gain the benefits of Mayo Clinic expertise while continuing to receive their care as close to home as possible. By working together, we help patients avoid unnecessary trips — they travel outside the region for care only when necessary.