As the hospital's volunteer program, the Unity Health Auxiliary is comprised of local residents who give of their time and talents toward helping Unity Health's patients and their family members, guests, and associates. Auxiliary members donate thousands of hours of service to the hospital every year by providing assistance to various departments and information desks throughout the hospital.
The auxiliary also operates the hospital's gift shops, located on Unity Health's White County Medical Center, Specialty Care and Newport campuses. We look forward to offering services at Unity Health Jacksonville in 2022. Funds earned through the hospital's gift shops are reinvested in our hospitals through the Unity Health Foundation for annual scholarship programs, equipment, and other special projects.
Since 1967, the auxiliary has made significant donations to the foundation to help improve the care and comfort of Unity Health patients and community members. Here is a glance at some of the projects Unity Health Auxiliaries have most recently funded.
- $250,000 to sponsor Inpatient Rehab Gym
- $208,000 to sponsor the New Life Center Nursery enhancements and renovations.
- $158,455 to sponsor the conference room at Pyeatt Family Cancer Center.
- $50,000 towards the purchase of the da Vinci Surgical System.
- $18,000 annually to provide scholarships to graduating high school seniors of Unity Health associates.
- $10,000 annually to a scholarship endowment.
- $5,000 for the children’s play area in the ED waiting room.
- $2,500 to provide electronic door access for the Inpatient Rehab Garden.
- Provide health education materials to local students and community members.
- $4,000 annually to support A Day of Caring/Community of Caring community health efforts.
The auxiliary provides non-clinical services to patients, family members, and guests; assists hospital associates with tasks; and acquires funds to be used as needed through the Unity Health Foundation.
- Cafeteria: help restock supplies during peak hours; clean tables as needed.
- Cancer Center Host: provide drinks, snacks, and other needs to patients who are receiving chemotherapy.
- Chaplain services: meet with patients who request clergy.
- Gift shops: interact with patients, visitors, and staff members. Operate cash registers and maintain the neatness of the shop.
- Infection Prevention Cart: replenish hand sanitizer, tissue, and other infection prevention items to waiting rooms, cafeterias, and other areas as needed.
- Information desk: waiting area desk attendant.
- Materials management: assist in receiving and tagging supplies that are used for patient care.
- Messenger: provide courier services within the hospital.
- Surgery Waiting Desk: communicate updates and information to surgery patients and family members.
- Other: departments occasionally need help with special projects such as mail outs and filing.