As the hospital's volunteer program, the Unity Health Auxiliary is comprised of local residents who give of their time and talents toward helping Unity Health's patients and their family members, guests and associates. Auxiliary members donate more than 36,000 hours of service to the hospital every year by providing assistance to various departments and information desks throughout the hospital.
The auxiliary also operates the hospital's gift shops, located on Unity Health's White County Medical Center, Harris Medical Center and Specialty Care campuses. Funds earned through the hospital's gift shops are reinvested in out hospitals through the Unity Health Foundation for annual scholarship programs, equipment and other special projects.
The auxiliary has made significant donations to the foundation to help build the Pyeatt Family Cancer Center and, most recently, pledged $200,000 toward the "Miracles Happen Every Day" campaign to benefit the New Life Center in Searcy. In the past, the auxiliary has also given the following:
- $40,000 to help purchase a PulseCheck system for the Emergency Department. This information system helps the Emergency Department efficiently function by combining triage, patient tracking, physician and nursing documentation, prescription writing and other data.
- Purchased more than 40 new wheelchairs for the hospital
- $5,000 to furnish the VIP room in the inpatient hospice unit
- Purchased three display boards for the Arts in the Hospital program
- Sponsored an effort to provide school supplies to needy area children with $3,000 annually
- Created a scholarship endowment to provide yearly scholarships of $1000 each to area students entering fields of study related to healthcare.
The auxiliary provides non-clinical services to patients, family members and guests; assists hospital associates with tasks; and acquires funds to be used as needed through the Unity Health Foundation.
- Admissions: escort patients to their destinations in the hospital.
- Cafeteria: help restock supplies during peak hours; clean tables as needed.
- Chaplain services: meet with patients who request clergy.
- Gift shops: interact with patients, visitors and staff members. Operate cash registers and maintain neatness of the shop.
- Guest services cart: go to waiting rooms and patient rooms to offer complimentary magazines, help visitors and monitor the comfort of the waiting rooms.
- Materials management: assist in receiving and tagging supplies and other reading materials that come in to the hospital.
- Medical records: assist in the organization of documents.
- Messenger: provide courier services within the hospital.
- Other: departments occasionally need help with special projects such as mail outs and filing.